Choosing appropriate accommodation from overseas:
When first arriving in Cayman you may want to consider temporary accommodation until you get more settled into “Island life” and a feel for which area suits you best, with regards proximity to work vs. cost. There are several options for temporary accommodation in Cayman to consider including some wonderful condos situated right in the heart of the bustling, cosmopolitan Seven Mile Beach area, which is always a great introduction to Cayman and Island living.
Once you are settled in and ready to look for a more permanent home, Cayman offers a great selection of rental accommodations across the Island to suit all budgets, with options on sharing, studio apartments, one bedroom through 5+ bedrooms, there is something to suit everyone. Most apartments come fully furnished with air conditioning. If you dream of an ocean view, then dream no more! West Bay, Spotts Newlands and Bodden Town all offer quite affordable options on sea view accommodations.
- George Town & South Sound: For those of you who will be working in town and wish to live close-by, George Town and the surrounding South Sound areas are best for you. The rental prices tend to be slightly higher in these areas but having the convenience of being just a few minutes away from work can make up for the extra cost and help save on gas/petrol expenses.
- Seven Mile Beach: Famous for its spectacular beaches and views, Seven Mile Beach is a great choice for people who are new to the Island. In close proximity to restaurants, shopping and clubs alike it is popular with both tourists and residents and is just a 5 minute drive from George Town.
- West Bay: Offering some spectacular properties and situated just 20/25 minutes out of town, this is a great area to consider, with affordable options on beach front living. West Bay boasts several exclusive restaurants as well having the convenience of its own local supermarket and banking facilities.
- Red Bay, Prospect, Spotts Newlands & Savannah: Situated approximately 15-20 minutes out of town these areas offer some great rental accommodations, with spectacular sea views and a stunning public beach on the Spotts Newlands stretch. There are various shopping centers to convenience these areas.
- Bodden Town & East End: For those of you looking for a more tranquil and “out-of town” feeling then you may want to consider Bodden Town or East End. Although you can expect a 30-45 minute commute to town it is well worth the drive to go home to your own private piece of paradise.
- North Side: The furthest point away from town and around an hour drive away, North Side boasts some of the most exclusive properties on the Island as well as some amazing Cayman Cottage style houses offering a true Caymanian living experience.
Finding accommodation is made easy using the rental section on ecaytrade, Cayman’s free classifieds website: www.ecaytrade.com, you can also check the local paper, the Caymanian Compass Classifieds’ section on a Friday or, for a more personal service, you can contact one of the many local real estate agents, who are always happy to help.
- CHILDREN: There are a few rental properties that do not allow children. If you do have children then make sure you check in advance. There are schools situated in George Town, Prospect, North Side, Red Bay, West Bay and Bodden Town.
- PETS: Not all accommodations allow pets, so to avoid disappointment it is best to check in advance before committing to a rental contract, especially if you are hoping to bring an existing family pet with you or, if you have plans to adopt a new fury family member once on Island. For the properties that do allow pets there is often an additional deposit required.
- UTILITIES: Utilities are rarely included in the rental price. Electric bills can be quite pricey in Cayman so bear this in mind when considering your overall budget.