Summer has finally come to an end – pack your bags, print off your schedules and don’t be late for your first day!
7 Simple Tips for the College Student:
#1 Get organized
– Plan ahead – Make sure your bag is packed the night before so that it’s ready to grab and go!
– Download apps – Apps on your phone such as daily habit tracking and budgeting can keep you focused on get you through the week
– Suggested apps: Left to Spend, iHomework, TeuxDeux
#2 Explore Campus
– New to the school? Take some time to familiarize yourself with the campus – free your mind of the thoughts of getting lost in between classes.
– Discover the resources available –find the gym, locate the cafeteria, connect with the career center and discover potential internship and employment opportunities
– Find a quiet study space or study groups – it’s a great way of meeting new people and staying focused at the same time
#3 Avoid distractions
– Your laptop can often be a distraction while studying, if that’s the case, download an app which blocks you from accessing certain websites (social media, shopping, tv shows).
– Suggested apps: SelfControl or FocalFilter.
#4 Eat Healthy
– You need to be adequately nourished to study – skipping meals can throw off your entire routine.
– Although an easy option, try to avoid the pizza, burgers and fries in the cafeteria.
#5 Sleep Well
– Try to get at least between 6-8 hours of sleep each night
– It may be difficult to get a good night sleep when you have assignments due, tests to study for and taking on extra shifts at your job – but if you plan ahead, you can make it happen!
– Try to avoid pulling all-nighters – prioritize and avoid procrastination
– Join a fitness club
– Find an accountability partner; a workout partner who you can rely on to keep you motivated and help you make the best decisions, even on those early mornings
– Sign up for an intramural sport – with a league-organized game schedule, you can easily plan your workouts with the rest of your week
– Take a jog or walk around campus
#7 Create and maintain balance
– Find a healthy balance between school, work and your social life
– Don’t stretch yourself too thin
“Success is achieved and maintained by those who try, and keep trying”