Populated countries like Bermuda where you have over 3,000 persons per square mile, it’s expected that the accommodation will be expensive. In fact, it is one of the highest in the world. As an expatriate, you are not allowed to own a house in Bermuda unless you have a Bermudian spouse. There are exceptions only for few who are privileged by their ranks and influence, and it’s limited to the top 5% properties at an overly high price. And of course, there are even more expensive ones depending on the location and type. A thumb rule is, you should try to keep your house rental within a maximum of 30% of your monthly salary.
- An average one-bedroom apartment rental would be $2,700 per month in a place like Hamilton, $1,800 outside Hamilton.
- A two-bedroom apartment would rent for about $4,000 per month in Hamilton and $3,200 outside Hamilton
- 3-bedroom apartment rental would be about $6,500 in Hamilton and $4,200 outside. Ocean facing houses with private garden and swimming pool can be easily over $15,000 a month.
- Being an expat, you will most likely be leasing an apartment or house. Be prepared to spend between $1000-2000 per month on a studio apartment, $2500 on a one-bedroom, $3500 on a two-bedroom etc. Depending on the employer, you may be granted a housing allowance to assist in paying your rent.
Electricity & Internet Charges:
The electricity in Bermuda is provided by BELCO, a government approved Monopoly Company. There is also a hefty fuel surcharge added to the cost since electricity in Bermuda is produced by fuel gas.
- Basic utility charges (including electricity, water, garbage etc) for an 85 sq.m apartment would be around $325 per month.
- Internet charges would be around $140 per month (10mbps, unlimited).
Bermuda rooftops are designed to catch rainwater and channel it into a tank below or beside the house. Consequently, a good heavy shower is often referred to by Bermudians as “tank rain”. Bermuda is home to a booming water trucking industry, allowing you to order “loads” of water for your tank. One load contains approximately 1000 gallons, and will cost you around $65. Frequent summer droughts place these truckers in high demand, and they can be overextended to the point that it is not unheard of for people to have to wait for their water. It’s best to keep track of how much water you have in your tank and when necessary, order water before you run out.
- In the country of Bermuda, the rate of cooking gas is more than 3 times of US and Canada.
- The normal expense for a pair of jeans is $70, and pair of formal shoes is $150.